User login

Who's new

  • esgcfgbxi4w
  • lindapercivalhw...
  • amyx40yjimjzhqvtry
  • angusj89riecvggvl
  • wdpterrellprpfghf

Tell Me, What Did You Virtualize?

Here's a list I use currently (at home):

GreatNews V1.0
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12 NL
MP3Tag V2.40
MZ-Tools 6
OpenOffice v2.4.0
PECompact V2.79
Printkey 2000 V5.10
TeamViewer
Thunderbird 1.5
VLC Player 0.8.6F
iTunes
StatBar
Foxit Reader V2.0
HappyFish
IcoFX v1.5
IE7 Pro V2.0

Show us your list, to generate this, is rather simple;

Open a dos command and type:

svscmd Enum >C:\List.txt

Press enter and afterwards close the Dos Window, now go to you C: root and there you have the list of layers you use.

Remove (search and replace) "Layer Name:" and show us what you use.

Cheers, FrankB

At the moment on the PC I'm

At the moment on the PC I'm on, I have:

Office 2007
Guitar Pro 5.2 with RSE
Guitar Pro 5.0 with RSE
DAP

More, More, More.....

I wanna know, this is getting intresting :)
Cheers, FrankB

FrankB wrote: I wanna know,

FrankB wrote:

I wanna know, this is getting intresting :)
Cheers, FrankB

Hehe, forgot to mention, my pc is now set up so it reverts to original windows (using Shadow Defender) and I store all programs in a layer. This is why I wanted to do .Net Framework in a layer :P

See:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=205140

That's a cool situation but....

I don't see why you should freeze a system drive.
In a corporate environment I could see this work.
But in a private situation I don't see any use in it, as long as you virtualize your apps.
Windows Patches & Dot Net Framework should be in the OS anyway, thay can't be properly virtualized.

Cheers, FrankB

There are reasons...

FrankB wrote:
I don't see why you should freeze a system drive.
In a corporate environment I could see this work.
But in a private situation I don't see any use in it, as long as you virtualize your apps.
Windows Patches & Dot Net Framework should be in the OS anyway, thay can't be properly virtualized.

Cheers, FrankB

Ok, I freeze it cos it stops viruses infecting my system files (No need for antispyware/antivirus software?)

Also, As time goes on, I find my windows partition gets bigger and bigger. This stops that happening.

I've only got a 5GB partition and I'm storing everything on another big partition

Folders can also be excluded from shadowing so this helps have persistant storage on it as well like Favourites, Desktop and My Documents

P.S. Why is post validation on? And why do I have to preview the post before saving it? :evil:

If you look at it that way i

If you look at it that way i can agree, but there is still protection necessary, as Virusses also can infect non-systemdrives.

Nebster wrote:

P.S. Why is post validation on? And why do I have to preview the post before saving it? :evil:

Shouldn't be necesasary for forums, so it is switched off now.

Cheers, FrankB

FrankB wrote:If you look at

FrankB wrote:
If you look at it that way i can agree, but there is still protection necessary, as Virusses also can infect non-systemdrives.
Nebster wrote:
P.S. Why is post validation on? And why do I have to preview the post before saving it? :evil:
Shouldn't be necesasary for forums, so it is switched off now. Cheers, FrankB

 

Umm, yeah, is there any way to hide and restrict access to the layers folder on a different drive to everything including virus apart from SVS?

Nebster wrote: Umm, yeah, is

Nebster wrote:

Umm, yeah, is there any way to hide and restrict access to the layers folder on a different drive to everything including virus apart from SVS?

To hide the redirect area, open regedit and go to HKLM\SYSTEM\Altiris\FSL and create a new DWORD value named HideRedirectAreas and set the data value to 1. You will have to reboot the computer for this to take effect.

FrankB

What have I virtualized...

The following apps that I have virtualized for PERSONAL use only...
Skype
muTorrent
Application Verifier
H2Viewer
WinDirStat
Total Commander
MSOffice 2007
Fox PDF Editor 2.0
Babylon 7.0.0.13
PDF Password Remover
Lan Player 0.8.6c SVS
Paint .NET
Vista REadiness Analyzer 2.0.0.1012
AnyDVD
DVD Shrink
UltraVNC (Client and Server)
Cheers
Phil
One or more documents are attached to this page. In order to download or access these documents you must be logged in.